I know I do. I feel like I am constantly replenishing my stock of bananas and never get to enjoy them all before they brown again. If you feel the same way as I do, and are looking for a way to use those bananas, keep reading!! I have a great recipe that will allow you to transform those ugly bananas into warm, mouth-watering, healthy banana cranberry chia bread! It tastes delicious, especially on a brisk, cold autumn day!
Bonus: This recipe is low in calories, low in fat, rich in omega 3's for better heart health, and rich in antioxidants to keep your immune system healthy during this upcoming flu season!
- 5 raw bananas
- 3 cups of fresh cranberries*
- 1 1/4 cups of all purpose flour**
- 1/3 cup of brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 Tbsp of chia seeds***
- 2 Tbsp of ground cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp of vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
*Cranberries are rich in antioxidants, which can help the body fight off infections, illnesses, or diseases.
**You can make this recipe gluten-free by using Redmill's Gluten Free All Purpose Flour
***Chia seeds are high in fiber, protein, and omega 3 fatty acids which aid in digestion, and cardiac health.
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Add flour, sugar, spices, baking powder, and baking soda into one large bowl and mix well together.
3. Add the egg, raw bananas, chia seeds, and vanilla extract to the same bowl and mix until all ingredients are well blended and the flour is no longer visible. (The batter should look chunky).
4. Add cranberries and gently stir into the batter to prevent mushing, for lack of better word.
5. Pour the batter into 2 bread pans and cook for about 40 minutes.
6. Allow bread to cool, and enjoy!
Serving: 1 slice -Calories: 120 -Carbs: 27 grams -Fiber: 3 grams -Protein: 2 grams
-Sat Fat: <1 gram -Cholesterol: 11 mg -Trans Fat: 0 grams -Sodium: 245 mg -Iron: 6.4 mg